The Striders League was introduced in 2006 to support the team captains in encouraging Club Members to enter and participate in Hampshire Road Race League and Today’s Runner Cross Country League (now renamed the Southern Cross Country League (SCCL)) races. The League was the source of some fun during its inaugural season and created extra interest between club members as the season progressed.
The League is split into two competitions, one male and one female. In addition to the aim of increasing participation and members scoring points for taking part, runners can challenge themselves to improve against the Club Standards. The standards can be found on the Website, each runner can score extra points the better they do against their own age banding. In order to encourage members to take participate in as many races as possible, additional bonus points are awarded to those who compete in at least 50% of the SCCL and HRRL (and the three additional road races). Acquisition of these bonus points can have a significant effect on the final results.
Rules for the 2017-2018 Season
The rules governing the award of league points are unchanged from those for the 2016-17 season:
1. The qualifying road races will consist of all 12 of the HRRL events and three additional road races as detailed in the tables below. Only the best 12 out of the 15 road races will count towards an individual’s final score.
2. The qualifying cross country races will consist of all of the SCCL events as given in the table below.
2. Qualifying Race Events
2.1. Road Race Events
Note: Awaiting confirmation of HRRL fixtures and dates for 2017-18. Dates for 2016-17 were as below. Dates and fixtures are current for SCCL and non-league races.
For the 2016-2017 season, the Striders League comprises of all 12 of the HRRL events and three additional road races as listed below:
|Overton 5M||3rd September 2017|
|Solent Half Marathon||24th September 2017|
|Gosport Half Marathon||19th November 2017|
|Hayling 10M||26th November 2017|
|Victory 5M||3rd December 2017|
|Stubbington 10K||14th January 2018|
|Ryde 10M||4th February 2018|
|Eastleigh 10K||18th March 2018|
|Netley 10K||20th May 2018|
|Lordshill 10K||10th June 2018|
Non HRRL events
The following non-HRRL races have been added to the League race options in order to provide additional challenge to those who prefer the longer races (hence the inclusion of the Bramley 20 and London and Southampton marathons) and add a bit more variety for those who enjoy the shorter distances (hence the Bramley 10 and Alresford 10k). In the case of the events on the 11th February and 22nd April, the choice of race is left to the member, the basis of point allocation being identical regardless of distance. While it is appreciated that not everyone will have the opportunity to enter the London Marathon, it is anticipated that at least 10 members should gain entry through the general ballot, club ballot or GFA schemes and everyone else will have an equal opportunity of entering the Southampton races on the same day. Early application is advised!
|Alresford 10k||17th June 2018|
|Bramley 10/20M||11th February 2018|
|London Marathon / Southampton Marathon / Southampton Half Marathon||22nd April 2018|
Note: Some fixtures and dates are provisional. Please check your entry carefully.
2.2. SCCL Events
The SCCL events qualifying for points in the League are as follows:
|Pamber Forest, Tadley||8th October 2017|
|Queen Elizabeth Country Park||12th November 2017|
|Bourne Woods, Farnham||10th December 2017|
|Lord Wandsworth College, nr Odiham||31st December 2017|
|Manor Farm Country Park||21st January 2018|
|Haslemere, Polecat Valley||25th February 2018|
3.1. Basic Scoring
The scoring system is as follows:
- 4 points for completing a road race league race whilst running for Denmead Striders.
- 2 additional points for achieving a bronze standard performance.
- 3 additional points for achieving a silver standard performance.
- 4 additional points for achieving a gold standard performance.
- 5 additional points for achieving a platinum standard performance.
- 5 points for completing a XC league race whilst running for Denmead Striders.
3.2. Bonus Points
In order to encourage the fullest possible participation in the League events, on completion of the SCCL and HRRL seasons, bonus points will be awarded, dependent on the number of events completed.
The bonus points are awarded to individuals as follows:
- 16 points for completion of 12 league road races
- 15 points for completion of 11 league road races
- 14 points for completion of 10 league road races
- 13 points for completion of 9 league road races
- 12 points for completion of 8 league road races
- 11 points for completion of 7 league road races
- 10 points for completion of 6 league road races
- 10 points for completion of 6 SCCL races.
- 9 points for completion of 5 SCCL races.
- 8 points for completion of 4 SCCL races.
The bonus point system will be split into two separate sections one for the road races the other for cross country, with all scores added to give final totals.
The League will run throughout the season with all paid-up members being eligible, results will be updated on the website as soon as possible after each race.
For further information on the Championship or if anyone thinks I have made an error in allocation of their points (I’m not infallible!!!) please contact Graham Clarke either by e-mail or on Club Night.